Like many others I’ve fought insomnia too many times to count. Whether it’s stress or anxiety keeping me awake at night, sometimes it seems as though I can’t tun my brain off. I’m thinking about the next day, my plans for the week, what needs done around the house, what needs completed at work, what to buy my Dad for his birthday, and so on and so forth! This is a common occurrence in my immediate family. So, I began to research remedies and tips on how to get a great night’s rest! Here’s what has worked for me:
1. Don’t eat late at night, preferably not after 7:00pm if you can help it. If you indulge in a late night snack this may keep you awake as your body is working to digest.
2. Try to avoid drinking large amounts of liquid before bed. I found that throwing back water until I went to bed resulted in having to get up to use the washroom multiple times in a night which interrupted my sleep.
3. Keep your room cool or use a fan. If you’re too hot you will toss and turn and be unable to get comfortable.
4. Maintain a quiet and dark space. The darker your room, the better you’ll sleep. If you get up during the night to use the washroom, avoid flicking on the bright light. Not only will this light blind you, it can make it more difficult for your body to adjust to go back to sleep.
5. If you’re having trouble relaxing try light stretching before, or even in your bed. Practice deep breathing and muscle relaxation. If you find yourself struggling to slow your thoughts down, try reading a book to distract your mind from your stressors.